Yacht Ownership vs Charter vs MEMBERship
Is there anything better than spending a day on the water surrounded by family and friends? Whether you’re relaxing with loved ones, celebrating with trusted colleagues, or entertaining clients, being on a yacht provides comfort and privacy that creates that ‘get away from it all’ feeling.
As any Yacht Rock enthusiast knows, ‘carefree’ should be the vibe when we’re talking boats, but too often the lead up or even the experience itself can be fraught with difficulty and stress…
- If you own the yacht, even leaving the dock can present a host of problems, and consequently, expenses, that leave you frazzled and unable to enjoy your boat and your experience.
- If you charter the yacht, uncertainty prevails as you navigate charter companies, manage lengthy email threads or multiple phone calls, wire funds, and ultimately step onboard into the unknown.
In short, the traditional options in yachting leave too much on the table in terms of uncertainty, headaches, and expense — all of which detracts from the joy of being on the water.
There’s an adage that the best two days of a boat owner’s life are the day he/she buys it and the day that he/she sells it. Owning means that you accept all the planning, decisions, and unfortunately, surprises that are associated with owning and maintaining a boat.
- Where do I dock?
- How will I find a crew?
- Will that crew be reliable and safe?
- Has the boat been maintained properly since I was last on it?
- Do we have the right number of life jackets aboard if the Coast Guard drops by?
…It’s a long list of questions, and ultimately, it keeps you up at night. On top of the general worries, the surprises that boats present can ruin any day trip, or worst-case scenario, an entire family vacation…
Picture this all-too-familiar scenario:
- Arrive at the yacht, ready for a day of fun, there’s an alarm going off, and the engine won’t start.
- Your family is waiting in the blazing heat for a technician to arrive.
- The hours and your family’s patience are ticking away, and you’re thinking ‘why do I bother’ and ‘how much is this going to cost me?’
Ultimately, ownership can feel like waiting for an expensive surprise that you know is inevitable. The anxiety is lingering, and the specter of risk is ever present.
Chartering can remove some of the burdens and stress from the luxury yachting experience, but it presents its own set of complications. Sure, it’s possible to have a really great charter, but it isn’t guaranteed, and it isn’t necessarily consistent.
In addition to the hours of research, many yacht charter companies require deposits that are wired and don’t present a level of security that inspires confidence. Also, it can sometimes feel like starting from scratch in terms of onboard experience.
- Who will the crew be?
- Will they know the best, most secluded spots?
- Will they remember that my daughter has a peanut allergy?
For people who desire a level of consistency and certainty, chartering can feel like you have too little control.
With Exclusive Yachts, there’s a third option in yachting.
- An option where you are treated like an owner but are blissfully free of the headaches and mounting expenses associated with ownership…
- An option where you enjoy the benefits of charter with the additional peace of mind knowing that your crew will have your favorite cocktail waiting as you step onboard, as you enjoy a consistent level of safety and service that perfectly fits you and your family.
- An option that provides you access to a fleet of beautiful yachts, a plethora of experiences, a choice of desirable locations, and crew who make you feel like you never left home…
The level of personalization that membership clubs provide is a critical part of Exclusive Yacht’s mission. We don’t want people to become our customers, we want them to become part of our family. It’s simply a better way to yacht smarter.
Start enjoying yachting again. Contact us to learn more about Exclusive Yachts.